We will learn how to read music, from learning the steady beat and rhythm to the way our voices move up and down in lower grades; how to read music symbols, and, beginning in 1st grade, the notes on the staff. Third through fifth graders are playing recorders and learning how to play songs to get Recorder Karate belts.
Here is the link to practice the March from the Nutcracker Suite.
Check out our sound station on the playground. We will be adding to it, so keep an ear out for new sounds from the playground!
Students must be able to:
* tell which is their left and right hands
* hold the recorder with the left hand at the top, right hand at the bottom
* cover tiny holes with finger pads - not finger tips
* start the note with the tongue
* continue the air stream between notes to create a legato sound
* breathe in appropriate places
* demonstrate correct fingerings for notes
* read the names of the notes
* read and perform rhythms
* understand meter
* follow a conductor
* demonstrate appropriate rehearsal skills
* articulate: slur in some places, tongue in others
* develop good intonation
* develop a beautiful sound
This list is daunting for an adult! It takes quite a while for students to get some, most, or all of this right...sometimes we don't get to all of this list in 2 or 3 years of music class.